Information to help you with your epic Sedona Adventure
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
Is there any food provided on the river trips?
- No please bring what ever food you need we recommed snaks for the 1/2 day trips and lunch with plenty of water for any full day adventures.
Do you have to have kayaking experience?
- No! Most of the year this is a fun river float trip well suited to beginners and children. The Verde River is more of a big creek than a river. You will encounter about 12 sporty little chutes of water where you can take a break from paddling. There is no white water. Sometimes, during our spring run-off in February and March and during our rainy season of mid July through mid September there can be bigger water flows. Our experienced guides will offer information on what to expect and conduct a pre-trip “Paddling 101” class to show you how to navigate the river.
Will I see red rocks on this trip?
- You’ll see red rock on your way out of town as well as mountain chains and fabulous Verde Valley sights; not along the river. The geology along the river is limestone hills, with numerous caves used by pre-historic cultures as well as gorgeous mountain views. Abundance of beautiful Sycamore, Cottonwood & Willow trees as well as riverside reeds, cattails, grasses and flowers.
Is the trip suitable for children?
- Absolutely, this trip is great for families! Even grandma and grandpa can go! On guided river trips, children 3-12 years old must accompany a parent in a tandem Ducky Kayak.
Do you offer discounts for families and groups?
- Yes! On the phone, talk to our representative about available discounts that are periodically offered for families and for groups of ten or more persons. Also, book two or more tours and receive a 10% discount.
What should I wear and bring with me?
- Bring your sunscreen, hat, sunglasses, lip balm, water bottle and a change of clothes (if you so desire). Depending on the season you may want to layer your clothing and wear quick drying fabrics. If you have water shoes you can wear them, for rentals (when available) you need to pack your own food and water (coolers available for a nominal fee), make sure your vehicle is gassed up.
Where does the river trip launch from?
- Our guided tours start from TAPCO river access point in Clarkdale Az for most of our trips or Black Canyon river access point outside of Cottonwood Az, if you’re doing the Classic Water to Wine.
What if there’s inclement weather?
- This is an adventure and we go rain or shine unless the conditions make it unsafe.
What if I need to cancel?
- Cancellations from time of reservation to 48 hours prior to launch are subject to $10.00 per person cancellation fee.
- There are no refunds for cancellations within 48 hours of departure.
What should I tip my guides?
- We recommend 15% of the rack rate. The guides are a wealth of information and work hard behind the scenes to ensure your tour is fun, safe and memorable.
Are there bathroom facilities available during the trip?
- We recommend using restrooms prior to departure for the river. There are port-a-potty’s at the takeout.
What if I can’t swim?
- Because of the Ducky Kayak’s stability it is the exception rather than the rule for someone to take a swim. Life jackets are supplied and required and helmets are optional. You can stand up in much of the river and, of course, your guide is always nearby to assist you. In fact, we have had several non-swimmers go on our trips, albeit with some trepidation, only to come back smiling and glad that they went!
Do I need to be physically fit to do this trip?
- This trip does require the ability to paddle and get in and out of your boat for the mandatory portage. Some weight restrictions may apply. We do not recommend this trip for pregnant women, people with back, shoulder or knee issues, or people that have trouble sitting for a couple of hours.
Reservation, Payment, Cancellation, and Age Policies
- Full payment is required at the time of reservation.
- Listed prices do not include applicable sales tax, Forest Service land use, reservations fee’s or guide gratuities.
- If any trip is cancelled due to severe weather, mechanical failure, unsafe conditions, or insufficient reservations, a full refund will be provided.
- To make the payment process easier & faster please have your voucher numbers and/or credit card information ready when you call.
The minimum age for boating and all our tours is 3 years. Wine tours are not recommended for children.
On Ducky Kayak trips, children must ride in a tandem kayak with an adult.
We reserve the right to change the age requirements at any time, depending on river levels and weather conditions, or to refuse participation due to other safety reasons.
Outdoor activities in the natural world have inherent risks, and all participants will be required to sign a Release and Acknowledgment of Risk form, which can be viewed with Adobe Acrobat Reader by clicking on this link.
Most of our trips are conducted in wilderness settings outside of cell phone coverage areas and hours from outside help. Therefore, appropriate caution should be exercised. Drinking of alcoholic beverages before or during guided Sedona Adventure Tours activities is prohibited and will prevent your participation in your activity.
Cancellation, Payment and Refund Policies:
Payment is due at the time of reservation.
* Groups 10+: Minimum 50% deposit is due at time of reservation.
* Groups 10+: Payment in full is due 7 days prior to departure.
Please notify us if you need to cancel or reschedule.
* No refunds for cancellations within 48 hours of departure.
* Cancellations from reservation date to 48 hours before departure are subject to $10 per person/per trip fee.
If we cancel any trip due to weather, mechanical failure, unsafe conditions, or insufficient reservations, a full refund will be provided.
Minimum Trip Capacity
We reserve the right to cancel any departure if we have insufficient reservations. We will do all we can to reschedule or accommodate guests reserved on any departure with insufficient reservations.